Generally, tax records won’t show up on any background check report but there are some exceptions. Since the IRS doesn’t share information with third parties, it’s impossible for background check services to find out about your tax returns – so don’t worry if you returned them late. Of course, if it has gotten to the point where taxes haven’t been paid and your credit score has been impacted that’s another story. Since background checks often include credit reports, this would become visible to anyone running a check on you, like a landlord or employer.
Many background checks services look to see if you have any tax liens on a property, as this information is publicly available. However, if you’ve paid off the lien at least seven years ago then it shouldn’t show up on your credit report. It’s important to note that if you’re applying for a job then a prospective employer will need written consent to check your credit. Although you could say no, it may affect your chances of getting the job.
If you want to know exactly what kind of financial information may show up, you can check your own results first by using a credit score checking service, contacting the credit bureaus directly, or running a background check on yourself. This is especially important as you may discover wrong information that needs correcting, like an old tax lien that has been paid off but still appears on your report. In that case, you’ll need to contact the IRS and provide proof. Sometimes you may even find an unusually low credit score, which can be a sign of identity theft – but don’t worry, there are plenty of identity theft protection services out there to help you out.
The Best Background Check Services of 2021
- Can Background Checks Be Done on Minors?
- Do I Need Permission To Run a Background Check on Someone Else?
- Does a Background Check Include a Credit Report?
- Does a Background Check Include a Driving Record?
- Does a Background Check Include a Drug Test?
- Does a Background Check Include Tax Records?
- Does a Background Check Reveal Immigration Status?
- How Can I Do a Background Check?
- How Can I Remove My Name From Background Check Websites?
- How Far Back Do Background Checks Go?
- How Long Does a Background Check Take?
- How Much Does a Background Check Cost?
- Is a Background Check Legal?
- What Information Does a Background Check Show?
- What Is a Background Check?
- Will a Background Check Show My Employment History?