Absolutely. Education and work history are among the top subjects that employers look for when conducting a background check.
The depth of a background check on your employment history entirely depends on the public information available. Previous occupations can easily be discovered by running a quick search, though depending on the service the report may also detail the length of the employment and the position that you held. Further information such as the quality of your work or the reason you left, however, will not be included in the results. In most cases recruiters simply use these results to crosscheck the statements in your CV and not for gathering dirt on you.
This is unless you have commit a felony or theft. Such crimes appear in your criminal record, which is also brought to light by a background check. If you apply to a certain type of job, such as a truck driver, your future employer will probably want to know whether your license has been revoked in the past. However, it still stands that background checks won’t provide enough information to accurately judge an employee’s skills, which is why recruitment agencies may ask for employment verification or even contact the previous workplace.
As a job-seeking individual you may dislike the idea of such a thorough check on any applicants but try to imagine yourself in the employer’s position. They would rather avoid hiring someone that is likely to steal office equipment or might harass coworkers of the opposite sex. Choosing an unqualified individual via falsified credentials is also unfair for the other applicants, and will infer an additional cost to the company when submitting the position again. The best you can do is be transparent and professional, and create a CV that speaks for itself. An informative CV with verification of your employment history reduces the need for a deep background check.
The Best Background Check Services of 2023
- Can Background Checks Be Done on Minors?
- Do I Need Permission To Run a Background Check on Someone Else?
- Does a Background Check Include a Credit Report?
- Does a Background Check Include a Driving Record?
- Does a Background Check Include a Drug Test?
- Does a Background Check Include Tax Records?
- Does a Background Check Reveal Immigration Status?
- How Can I Do a Background Check?
- How Can I Remove My Name From Background Check Websites?
- How Far Back Do Background Checks Go?
- How Long Does a Background Check Take?
- How Much Does a Background Check Cost?
- Is a Background Check Legal?
- What Information Does a Background Check Show?
- What Is a Background Check?
- Will a Background Check Show My Employment History?
Get the Best Deals on Background Checks
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter to get the best deals, free trials and discounts on background checks.