Yes it does, although indirectly. Citizenship, genealogy and personal history are featured prominently within the reports, though it’s worth mentioning that the results won’t explicitly mention that the subject is an immigrant. There is no dedicated category that states a definite ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ answer, so if you are curious about this then you will need to piece it together from less obvious details. For example, the place of birth is often a big giveaway, and let’s not forget that the answer depends heavily on the type of report that you’ve requested.
Background check services gather information from various public sources but if the data isn’t available online and exists only on paper, then the corresponding fields will be left blank in the report. You also won’t find any indication about the subject’s immigration status if you’ve asked for a criminal record check, unless the person has been charged with regards to immigration.
Legal Implications of Checking Someone’s Immigration Status
Bear in mind that you aren’t allowed to look up a person’s immigration status if it involves any sorts of decision making. It’s okay to do so if you are a cautious neighbor or a curious roommate, but conducting a background search when considering them for a particular opportunity – the most obvious being when hiring for a job – and basing a decision on the resulting information could land you in trouble. Interestingly, the situation is especially sensitive for employers.
When screening candidates for a position, you are legally obliged to ask the person’s permission before conducting a background check and even then the involvement of a professional agency is required as public record search engines don’t qualify as trustworthy sources in this matter. On the other hand, employers are required to check the immigration status of their future employees because hiring illegal immigrants is against the law and has serious legal implications.
The Best Background Check Services of 2020
- Does a Background Check Include a Credit Report?
- Does a Background Check Include a Driving Record?
- Does a Background Check Reveal Immigration Status?
- How Can I Do a Background Check?
- How Can I Remove My Name From Background Check Websites?
- How Far Back Do Background Checks Go?
- How Long Does a Background Check Take?
- How Much Does a Background Check Cost?
- Is a Background Check Legal?
- What Information Does a Background Check Show?
- What Is a Background Check?
- Will a Background Check Show My Employment History?