As background checks are used to verify that a person is who they say they are, background reports will generally provide a person’s name (including aliases and previous names), current and past addresses, date of birth, previous employment, education history, and criminal history. For the latter, you can expect that any previous arrests, convictions, court records, or outstanding warrants will be displayed. Some delve much deeper and can find out about relatives, permits, licenses, and even check social media.
Naturally, you’re not always going to get the same information every time. There are various circumstances that mean you can run the same background checks on different people and get entirely different results. One big factor is the location. Different state laws may affect what is a matter of public record – this is especially true when it comes to criminal records, where even the offenses themselves differ. Some local areas may not yet have digitized all of their records, making it much more difficult to find them. Another thing to consider is that it’s possible for people to remove their own details from these services, which makes it much more difficult to get results.
Finally, there are some instances where you need a person’s approval before performing a check. This is especially true for any kind of background check made by a business that will influence an important decision, like checking on a new employee or new tenant. To ensure that the background check is totally compliant with the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), businesses must have written consent.
The Best Background Check Services of 2020
- Does a Background Check Include a Credit Report?
- Does a Background Check Include a Driving Record?
- Does a Background Check Reveal Immigration Status?
- How Can I Do a Background Check?
- How Can I Remove My Name From Background Check Websites?
- How Far Back Do Background Checks Go?
- How Long Does a Background Check Take?
- How Much Does a Background Check Cost?
- Is a Background Check Legal?
- What Information Does a Background Check Show?
- What Is a Background Check?
- Will a Background Check Show My Employment History?