To put it simply, background checks are a way of verifying that a person is who they say they are. Generally, these come in the form of full background reports with a lot information about the person. You can do this yourself, but the process can be incredibly time-consuming. Instead, many people turn to dedicated background check services to do all the hard work. Of course, there are various types of background checks that are performed for a variety of different reasons, like companies checking the employment history of a new hire, landlords verifying a tenant’s credit score, or anyone checking on a potential partner before a date.
Although it may sound like an intrusion of privacy, professional background check services all work within the confines of the law. Background check services collect a lot of information from digitized publicly available records, using an algorithm to speed up the process. This means they’re able to access birth records, court documents, marriage certificates, even hunting licenses. Some services also use social media to find out more personal details.
Commonly, these services run checks to find out a person’s criminal record (including sex offender registries), credit report, employment history, and to get an overview of their social media activity. On top of that, a few services even provide drug screening. Naturally, what results you’ll have access to depends on the background check service you choose as each have their own specialties.
The Best Background Check Services of 2020
- Does a Background Check Include a Credit Report?
- Does a Background Check Include a Driving Record?
- Does a Background Check Reveal Immigration Status?
- How Can I Do a Background Check?
- How Can I Remove My Name From Background Check Websites?
- How Far Back Do Background Checks Go?
- How Long Does a Background Check Take?
- How Much Does a Background Check Cost?
- Is a Background Check Legal?
- What Information Does a Background Check Show?
- What Is a Background Check?
- Will a Background Check Show My Employment History?